Important Benefits of Custom Liquid Cooling Plate
Liquid cooling system components include battery cooler, electronic expansion valve, electronic water pump, battery valve, liquid cooling plate, etc. Among them, the liquid cooling plate is a key component of the liquid cooling system as it transfers excess heat through the circulation of coolant in the liquid flow channel to achieve the cooling function. Depending on the shape and structure, liquid cooling plates can be divided into stirring friction welding type, harmonica tube type, blowing type and brazing type. Among them, the blow-up type has low cost, heat transfer effect and high productivity, while the brazed type has certain advantages in terms of structure, weight and heat dissipation capacity.
Principles of design customisation for liquid-cooled panels
- Choice of base material: Try to avoid a system with two metals with a large difference in electrode potential to reduce electrochemical corrosion.
- Selection of the type of liquid cooling plate: based on the structure of the liquid-cooled system and whether the load is heavy to choose
- Determination of flow rate: As the system of water cooling is relatively large, simulation analysis is not usually done for the whole system, but the flow rate of the water cooling radiator is set first, and then the pump is matched according to the corresponding system flow resistance. After the total heat and the physical parameters of the workpiece material are determined, the flow rate and the temperature rise are inversely proportional. If the temperature rise is high, the heat exchanger power design of the water cooling system should be relatively large; if the temperature rise is too low, a relatively large pump is required. Therefore the temperature rise is too high or too low will cause an increase in costs. Based on economic considerations, there is often an economic temperature rise range, but also to determine the flow rate of the radiator synchronously.
- The design of the flow channel cross-section: by theoretical derivation, convective thermal resistance and cross-section of the hydraulic diameter into a positive correlation between the relationship. In other words, other conditions are equivalent, the larger the hydraulic diameter, the greater the convective thermal resistance. According to the hydraulic diameter formula D = 4A/P, where A is the cross-sectional area of the flow channel, P is the perimeter of the flow channel cross-section. In other words, under the condition of equal cross-sectional area, the larger the perimeter, the smaller the hydraulic diameter and the lower the convective thermal resistance.
Heat transfer using a cold plate
Cold plate liquid cooling is the liquid cooling plate fixed on the server’s main heat-generating devices, relying on the liquid flowing through the cold plate will heat away to achieve the purpose of heat dissipation; cold plate liquid cooling to solve the server heat-generating devices, other heat-generating devices still have to rely on air cooling, so the use of cold plate liquid cooling server is also known as gas-liquid dual-channel server; cold plate liquid does not touch the cooled devices, the middle of the use of The liquid in the cold plate does not touch the device being cooled, and the heat is transferred by a heat-conducting plate in the middle, for high safety.
What are the main advantages of liquid-cooled panels?
- Compared to conventional heat pipes, liquid-cooled plates enable direct heat transfer over large planes, resulting in more efficient heat transfer.
- Most liquid-cooled panels are made of aluminium alloy and various insulating media (e.g. various thermally conductive interface materials from Yang Chi Technology). Safety hazards in electrical applications are eliminated.
- Light weight and long life.
- Liquid cooling uses water as the medium and the cooling system is quieter compared to air-cooled systems
Are custom water-cooled panels difficult to maintain?
To ensure the airtightness of our liquid-cooled panels, our products are 100% helium inspected at the factory. Also, during the process, dry inspection (to check the quality of the welds) and water inspection (to check the location of leaking welds to decide whether to patch or scrap) are carried out to ensure that faulty products do not flow into the next process, ensuring quality control and cost.
For our liquid-cooled board products, in general the flatness and precision state of the module can be less than 0.5mm locally and less than 1.5mm overall (from metal stress), while in the surface treatment process of the liquid-cooled board, we use a spraying process (to ensure insulation) or apply a thermal conductive silicone pad (to ensure thermal conductivity).